Independent Television ITV Regional Map 1993-1999
- The Independent Television (ITV) Regional Map 1993-1999 was a guide to television broadcasting regions in the
- ITV underwent significant changes during this period, resulting in the reorganization of regional boundaries and
the creation of new franchises.
- The map served as a valuable resource for viewers and advertisers, helping them navigate the various regional
- It showcased the diversity of content production across different regions, highlighting unique cultural and
- The ITV Regional Map 1993-1999 played a crucial role in promoting regional identities and enhancing local
The Independent Television (ITV) Regional Map 1993-1999 was developed as a comprehensive representation of the
broadcasting regions within the United Kingdom. ITV, as a commercial public service broadcaster, aimed to
provide tailored content to the diverse regions across the country.
In 1993, major changes were implemented by the Independent Television Commission (ITC) to redefine the ITV
broadcasting regions. This led to the creation of new regional franchises, resulting in a shift in broadcast
boundaries. The 1993-1999 map effectively captured these changes, providing an accurate representation of the
The ITV Regional Map 1993-1999 offered several unique insights into the regional television landscape during that
time. Here are some notable observations:
- The regional boundaries were carefully designed to reflect cultural, linguistic, and historical factors within
- Different regions showcased a variety of local programming, including news, entertainment, and documentaries,
catering to the specific interests and needs of their audiences.
- The map highlighted the presence of distinct accents and dialects across different regions, showcasing the rich
linguistic diversity of the United Kingdom.
- Regional programming often focused on local events, festivals, and community issues, fostering a sense of
regional pride and identity.
- The ITV Regional Map 1993-1999 played a significant role in supporting targeted advertisement campaigns by
enabling advertisers to reach specific regional markets.
Table: Relevant Facts during 1993-1999
|1993||Introduction of new regional franchises|
|1994||ITV network rebranding|
|1996||Launch of digital terrestrial television in the UK|
|1997||First interactive television trials|
|1998||ITV Digital launched|
|1999||ITV Digital rebranded as ONdigital|
1. What was the purpose of the ITV Regional Map 1993-1999?
The purpose of the ITV Regional Map 1993-1999 was to provide viewers and advertisers with a visual reference of the
different broadcasting regions in the United Kingdom. It helped viewers identify their local ITV franchise and
facilitated targeted advertising campaigns in specific regions.
2. Did the regional boundaries change during the 1993-1999 period?
Yes, the Independent Television Commission (ITC) made significant changes to the regional boundaries in 1993,
resulting in the creation of new franchises and a realignment of the broadcasting regions. The ITV Regional Map 1993-1999 accurately reflected these changes.
3. How did the ITV Regional Map 1993-1999 promote regional programming?
The map played a crucial role in promoting regional programming by highlighting the diversity of content production
across different regions. It ensured that viewers were aware of the specific regional programming available to them,
helping to enhance regional identities and cater to local interests.
4. Were there differences in regional programming?
Yes, there were notable differences in regional programming. Each region had the autonomy to produce and broadcast
content that catered to its local audience. Regional programming often included news, cultural events, and various
shows specific to the region, creating a more personalized viewing experience.
5. How did the ITV Regional Map 1993-1999 support advertisers?
The map enabled advertisers to target specific regional markets more effectively. By understanding the regional
boundaries and viewership demographics, advertisers could tailor their campaigns to reach the desired audience in
each region, maximizing the impact of their advertisements.
6. Did the ITV Regional Map 1993-1999 have any impact on regional identities?
Yes, the map played a significant role in fostering regional pride and identity. By highlighting the unique
programming and characteristics of each region, it emphasized the cultural and linguistic diversity within the
United Kingdom, creating a stronger sense of community and belonging.
7. What happened to the ITV Regional Map after 1999?
The ITV Regional Map continued to evolve beyond 1999 as the broadcasting landscape underwent further changes. Future
versions of the map reflected subsequent updates to the ITV regions and franchise agreements, ensuring accurate
representation for viewers and advertisers.
- ITV Regional Map
- ITV Regional Boundaries
- United Kingdom broadcasting
- Television franchising
- Regional programming
- Advertising on ITV
- ITV network rebranding
- ITV Digital
- Regional pride and identity
- ITV franchise agreements