- The Map Rail Ireland Viceregal Commission 1906 offers valuable insights into historical boundaries and geographical features of Ireland.
- It was created as part of a comprehensive survey and mapping project commissioned by the British government.
- The map showcases the administrative divisions, transportation networks, and natural features of Ireland during the early 20th century.
- Its detailed cartography provides a wealth of information for historical research, genealogy, and understanding the evolving landscapes of Ireland.
- The map captures the political and social context of Ireland before the significant political changes of the 20th century.
The Map Rail Ireland Viceregal Commission 1906 was created as part of a government initiative to survey and map the entire island of Ireland. Under the direction of the Viceregal Commission, extensive research, measurements, and cartographic techniques were employed to produce an accurate representation of Ireland’s landscape and administrative regions.
The map was commissioned during a time of political and social change in Ireland. The early 20th century marked a period of increased calls for Irish independence, and the British government sought to consolidate its administrative control and better understand the region it governed.
The surveyors and cartographers working on the project meticulously collected data on geographical features, transportation networks, and administrative divisions. The resulting map became an invaluable resource for governance, infrastructure planning, and understanding the land they governed.
The Map Rail Ireland Viceregal Commission 1906 provides several unique insights into the history of Ireland:
- Demarcation of county boundaries: This map clearly defines the boundaries of each county in Ireland. Historians and genealogists can utilize this information to study local customs, socio-political influences, and family history.
- Transportation networks: The map showcases the extensive rail and road networks existing during that time. It helps us understand the connectivity between various regions of Ireland and highlights the importance of transportation infrastructure for trade and communication.
- Topographical details: With impressive attention to detail, this map reveals the diverse and beautiful landscapes of Ireland. It accurately represents mountains, rivers, lakes, and other natural features, enabling researchers to explore the geographical evolution of the island.
- Administrative divisions: Understanding the administrative divisions on the map aids in comprehending the historical governance structures in Ireland. It provides insights into the distribution of power and how the regions were organized and controlled.
Table of Relevant Facts
|Map commissioned by the British government||1906|
|Survey and mapping conducted by the Viceregal Commission||1906-1908|
|Focus on detailed cartography and administrative divisions||1906-1908|
|Highlighting transportation networks and natural features||1906-1908|
1. What was the purpose of the Map Rail Ireland Viceregal Commission 1906?
The map was created as part of a comprehensive survey and mapping project commissioned by the British government. Its purpose was to provide an accurate representation of the landscape, administrative divisions, and transportation networks of Ireland during that time.
2. Who commissioned the Map Rail Ireland Viceregal Commission 1906?
The map was commissioned by the British government under the direction of the Viceregal Commission. The Commission oversaw the surveying and mapping of Ireland during the early 20th century.
3. What insights can be gained from this map?
This map offers insights into the historical boundaries, transportation networks, and geographical features of Ireland. It helps understand the political, social, and administrative contexts of Ireland before the significant changes of the 20th century.
4. How can this map be valuable for research?
The map is a valuable resource for historians, genealogists, and researchers interested in Ireland’s history. It provides detailed information on county boundaries, transportation networks, and natural features, enabling deep exploration of Ireland’s past.
5. Can this map be useful for genealogical research?
Absolutely! The map defines the county boundaries of Ireland, providing important details for genealogical research. By understanding the administrative divisions and local contexts, individuals can gain insights into their ancestors’ lives and the communities they belonged to.
6. What is the historical significance of the year 1906 for Ireland?
1906 marks an important period in Irish history as it was a time of increasing demands for Irish independence. The map allows researchers to examine the political and social landscape of Ireland just before these significant political changes.
7. Where can I access the Map Rail Ireland Viceregal Commission 1906?
The map may be accessible in libraries, archives, or online platforms dedicated to historical cartography and research. Institutions like the National Library of Ireland or online archives offer possibilities for accessing this valuable map.
List of LSI Keywords
- Rail Ireland Viceregal Commission
- Ireland map 1906
- Historical boundaries of Ireland
- Geographical features of Ireland
- British government survey of Ireland
- Transportation networks in early 20th century Ireland
- Administrative divisions of Ireland 1906
- Political and social context of Ireland in 1906
- Genealogy research in Ireland
- British rule in Ireland in the early 20th century